List of Top Santa Barbara Campgrounds
- Ocean Mesa RV Resort and Campground
- Jalama Beach County Park Campground
- Flying Flags Flying Flags RV Resort & Campground
- Lake Cachuma Campground
- Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort
- Carpinteria State Beach Campground
- El Capitan State Beach Campground
- Refugio State Beach Campground
- Gaviota State Park Campground
- Faria Beach Park Campground
Santa Barbara is a glamorous coastal town in Southern California. Often referred to as the American Riviera, it’s famous for its temperate climate, gorgeous shoreline, Mediterranean style architecture, dramatic mountains as well as an unbeatable food and wine scene.
For RV campers, Santa Barbara is also an outdoor paradise brimming with exciting adventure activities. Whether you want to camp on a spectacular palm-lined waterfront or in the woods, there’s a wide variety of campgrounds to suit your needs.
Here are the top places to go RV camping in Santa Barbara.
Ocean Mesa RV Park and Campground is situated about five miles north of Santa Barbara, directly on the beach. Every parking spot is surrounded by shady trees, and ocean views are abundant. The waves breaking on the shore, the pristine beach, and the resort-like amenities make the perfect recipe for some much-needed relaxation.
- Location – El Capitan, CA
- Amenities – 29 full hookup sites, cable TV, free WiFi, fire rings, picnic tables, heated swimming pool, laundry, restrooms, showers, and a playground. You can relax by the outdoor pool, hike nearby trails or visit the resort’s llama and goat farms.
Located one hour west of Santa Barbara, Jalama Beach Park and Campground is an amazing place to soak in nature. It’s right next to a sparkling beach on a large stretch of undeveloped coastline, and it gives an overwhelming sense of calm and quiet.
- Location – Lompoc, CA
- Amenities – Over 100 campsites, over 30 electric hookups, a dump station, trash, restrooms, showers, playground, basketball court, picnic tables, BBQ pits, restaurant, and convenient camp store. You can enjoy surfing, swimming, snorkeling, fishing, and hiking.
Flying Flags RV Resort & Campground is a large RV park nestled in the heart of the Santa Ynez wine country. It’s surrounded by miles and miles of lush, Central Coast vineyards. When you aren’t wine tasting, you can visit the charming city of Solvang, tour the ostrich refuge down the road, or explore local attractions like Lake Cachuma and the Los Padres National Forest.
- Location – Buellton, CA
- Amenities – Big rig friendly campsites, full hookups, restrooms, laundry facilities, free WiFi, cable tv, game room, fireside lounge, swimming pool, playground, picnic tables, barbecue grills, fire circles, and pets are allowed. You can enjoy biking, hiking, golf, and historic sightseeing nearby.
On the shores of Lake Cachuma, 25 miles northwest of Santa Barbara, lies the sprawling Lake Cachuma Campground. Stay here, and you’ll love its pleasant weather, vibrant outdoor pursuits, and picturesque views of the Santa Ynez and Rafael Mountains.
- Location – Cachuma Lake Recreation Area
- Amenities – Over 100 full hookup sites, restrooms, showers, laundry, pool, playground, amphitheater, grocery store, fire pits, grill grates, picnic tables, and a dog park. You can fish, boat, swim, or set out to explore the lake’s hiking trails and equestrian trails.
Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort
Flanked by the Los Padres National Forest and the Santa Ynez River, Rancho Oso RV & Camping Resort is a peaceful and tranquil place with a western feel. This historic horse ranch/campground has more than 310 beautiful acres for you to explore, filled with history dating back to 1845.
- Location – 30-minute drive from Santa Barbara or Solvang, CA
- Amenities – Over 160 sites, full hookups, restrooms, showers, hot tub, laundry, WiFi, satellite TV, playground, dog park, and swimming pool. For activities, you can go horseback riding along the wooded trails, take a nature walk, or play tennis, basketball, or volleyball.
Carpinteria State Beach Campground
Just 12 miles south of Santa Barbara, you’ll find Carpinteria State Beach Campground. It’s a massive campground right smack on the beach, and it has a mile of sandy coastline ready to be enjoyed. You can swim, surf, fish, explore the tide pools or learn about the area’s rich biological and cultural history. Note it only accommodates RVs under 35 feet.
- Location – Carpinteria, CA
- Amenities – Over 200 sites and 80 of them have full hookups, flush toilets, hot showers, a visitor center, picnic tables, fire rings, grills, and amphitheater. You can beach-comb, snorkel, hike, bike, and even watch wildlife such as whales and sea lions for activities.
El Capitan State Beach Campground
Tucked away from the lights and sounds of the major urban areas, on bluffs overlooking the beach, is El Capitan State Beach Campground. It’s 17 miles west of Santa Barbara. Carve out a spot under a nice grove of trees, enjoy the sun-soaked shoreline and keep an eye out for marine life and wildlife. Note it’s a dry camping area, so there are no RV hookups.
- Location – Goleta, CA
- Amenities – 119 standard campsites, restrooms with flush toilets, showers, beach wheelchairs, amphitheater, store, picnic tables, and fire rings with grills. There are well-maintained hiking and biking trails, and you can swim, beach comb, sunbathe, fish, surf, and picnic.
Refugio State Beach Campground
Refugio State Beach Campground is a beautiful beach about 20 miles up the coast of Santa Barbara. Spend a night here and get lured to sleep by the sound of crashing waves and swaying palm trees. When the sun comes up, you can enjoy the stellar ocean view, take in the fresh breeze, get your toes in the warm sand, or wade in the clear waters.
- Location – Goleta, CA
- Amenities – 66 campsites that accommodate RVs under 30 feet, restrooms with flush toilets, amphitheater, grass park, store, picnic tables, fire rings with grills, and the beach is wheelchair accessible. Activities include fishing, kayaking, surfing, and marine life viewing.
Gaviota State Park Campground
Gaviota State Park Campground is situated along a scenic coastline, 33 miles northwest of Santa Barbara. Although it sits a few hundred yards inland, the campground offers an impressive variety of hiking trails and backcountry adventures. Of course, visitors can take a short walk to the beach, enjoy fishing from the pier, and sunbathing near the rolling waves. It’s a dry camping area.
- Location – Gaviota, CA
- Amenities – 38 campsites for RVs under 27 feet, fresh water, restrooms, showers, picnic tables, fire rings with grills, and trash service. Activities include boating, surfing, kayaking, plus hiking trails are abundant, including the Gaviota Pass Overlook.
Faria Beach Park Campground
Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the base of the Santa Ynez mountains, Faria Beach Park Campground is a medium-sized picturesque park, close to Ventura. It’s just footsteps away from the Pacific ocean, and it offers absurdly good views of the Channel Islands. Reserve a campsite here and watch the sun sink deep into the Pacific every evening.
- Location – Ventura, CA
- Amenities – 42 sites for rigs under 34 feet, 15 full hookups, restrooms, showers, drinking water, cable TV, swimming beach, snack bar, picnic tables, and fire rings. When you aren’t playing by the water, you can check out the local food scene, visit local museums, or explore natural terrain on foot or bike.
Have Your RV Rental Delivered and Set Up at Your Favorite Santa Barbara Campground
Santa Barbara is a haven for RV camping enthusiasts. Beautiful campgrounds pepper its pristine shoreline, and you can also find peaceful camping spots near its beautiful lakes and mountains.
Apart from its phenomenal water-based activities, it also has immaculate hiking and biking coastal trails, a fabulous food and wine scene, rich history, as well as dozens of vibrant events.
If you don’t own an RV, you can still enjoy camping in Santa Barbara. Simply have a rental motorhome or travel trailer delivered and set up at a campground of your choice, and let the fun get started.